THEME: Jesus said, “I am the Bread of Life”
Optional icebreaker: How would you describe your daily spiritual diet: Junk food? Frozen food? Baby food? TV microwave food? Leftovers? Meat and vegetables?
READING: John 6:22-58
· Bread is a staple food that almost everyone will eat.
· Jesus had previously fed the crowd with just 5 loaves and 2 fishes, crossed the lake to Capernaum, walked on water ……
· The crowd went looking for Him, wanting to see more miracles.
· Jesus said “I am the bread of life.” This was not what they were expecting.
· The Israelites had past experience of God providing manna to eat in the desert. He provided just enough for each day, except for the day before the Sabbath, when He provided enough for two days.
· Perhaps the crowds were expecting Jesus to continue feeding them with physical food. They did not seem to see that God was present in the miracle and the food came from Him.
· Ali asked what we can learn from this story and some replies included “God provides for our need.” “He feeds us each day with spiritual food.” “We can’t always predict how He will help us.” We need Jesus inside us to change us.” “God provides for us and not just physical things.”
1. Did anything stand out for you from the passage as we took part in the dramatic reading?
2. Imagine you are one of the crowd. When you go home at the end of the day what might you tell your family and friends about what you had heard and experienced?
3. What claims does Jesus make in verses 35-40? How do they challenge or encourage you?
4. What is the main reason you follow Jesus?
5. Can you share an experience of God providing for your need in either a physical way or a spiritual way?